How has this year gone for you? Did it go too quickly for you, or does it seem to have dragged? Does it feel like a successful one or were you constantly battling obstacles? Either way you probably haven’t realised quite how much you have accomplished as a mumpreneur, a mother, a partner, a friend, an individual. I can guarantee it is more than you think.
Reflecting on your year gives you the opportunity to acknowledge those achievements and to learn from things that haven’t gone so well. In this guide, we take you through it, step-by-step.
What Have Been The Highs And Lows?
What goals did you set out to achieve during 2019? These could have been business related, family related, or even personal growth goals. Are you celebrating the achievements and ignoring the failures? Or dwelling on the failures rather than celebrating the achievements? Or even ignoring all of it?
As a society we often tend to dwell on what we didn’t do or achieve, as well as the times that brought us down throughout the year. It is inevitable that things like death, the breakdown of a relationship, and or any other traumatic event will stick out when looking back. Let’s not forget them but learn from them because the good and bad both give us learning opportunities.
It’s also important to recognise achievements that weren’t on your original goal list, the world never goes according to plan so look beyond them. It could be a new friendship, cutting out sugar from your tea, getting to spend more time with the family, saying no to something you didn’t want to do.
Take your time to think through the different highs and lows of your year, you won’t remember everything all in one go.
Your Step-By-Step Guide To Reflecting On Your Year
Now, let’s get down to business and start reflecting your year.
1. Get a notebook and at the top of the page, write an area of your life (keep one page for each area). These could be:
There are no rights and wrongs, just make sure they reflect your idea of your best life.
2. Once you have done that, under each area, I want you to write down those reflections – the good in one column and the not-so-good in another. It is likely that some pages will be fuller than others and that’s fine.
3. Next, I want you to imagine your best life and how each of these areas would look – remember, the balance you want to achieve between these areas is a personal preference, everybody is different. Now, reflect on where you are today compared to your ideal in each of these areas and give it a mark out of 10.
4. Looking at those lists, how do you feel? Proud, surprised, dejected? It might have produced a range of feelings. Jot down for each area how you are feeling about it – this and the mark out of 10 will give you a good indication of what you need to work on next year.
Don’t worry if you’re surprised by how you feel. Sometimes, we think we want something because that’s the message we receive from loved ones or society rather than what we really want.
5. Finally, read through the lows and see if there is something to be learned. Do the same with your achievements – is there something you could learn that will help you repeat that success?
Now that you know where you are, you can start planning for next year – more on that in the next blog post. For now, share your biggest highlights of 2019 in the comments!
Start your journey today – achieve confidence, balance and clarity for an easier, happier life!
Empowering Mums is on a mission to empower a million mums and mumpreneurs just like you with greater confidence, balance and clarity to activate your infinite capabilities within! Enabling you to enjoy an easier, happier life alongside running a highly successful business. Aligned with enjoying time out for an essential self-care routine that fulfils your own needs and delight in quality time spent with your children being the mum you really want to be!
For further support please contact Empowering Mums today on 01606 334 015, alternatively visit our website at www.empoweringmums.com for more information.
Add your details below to be first notified of further details of this fabulous new CALM MUMS Members' Club - helping mums create easier, happier lives!